Printing Labels / Mail Merge in Microsoft Word
This was a quick how-to written by Jennifer Hendel of Legal Services of South Central Michigan http://lsscm.org/
Run a mega report including all the fields you want to appear on your label. Choose to open this in spreadsheet format. When you open in Excel, I recommend deleting the first row that says “mega report” leaving the top row as the field labels. Save this file, be sure to change the file type from .csv to .xls when saving.
In Microsoft Word 97:
- Open Word
- Tools -> Mail Merge
- Create-Mailing labels (select size of labels)
- Open Data Source – browse to the .xls file you just saved from the mega report
- Set up main document- insert fields the way you want them to appear on your labels
- Merge to new document
- You should have labels ready to print- once this word document is set up and saved, each time you want new labels just open a different data source (i.e. .xls file) and merge.
In Microsoft Word 2003:
- Use the Mail Merge toolbar
- Open a new document in Microsoft Word. Click on Tools
- Letters and Mailing
- Show Mail Merge Toolbar.
- Open Data Source
- Browse to file and click OK. Select sheet and click OK.
- Click Main Document Setup
- Select Labels & click OK.
- Select Size & Click OK
- With Cursor in first label- Insert Merge Fields.
- Tip- Insert all fields that you need, then format them.
- Copy the merge fields into each label on the page
- Save your document this way for future use- Next time just open this file, open data source and choose new .xls file.
- Merge to Printer OR Merge to New Document
- NOTE- THERE IS A WIZARD IN WORD 03 YOU CAN USE IF YOU PREFER